A combination of white sauce with tomatoes and brinjals creates an indulgent deconstructed lasagne. Like lasagne, this dish takes some time to prepare but is absolutely worth it!
Free from: Nuts and Sugar. Vegetarian. Serves 4
2 large brinjals (or 8 small), butter, 1 large onion, 1 carrot, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp paprika (or ¼ tsp chilli powder), 3 tsp coriander powder, 6 medium tomatoes (or 500g plum tomatoes), 4 tablespoons flour, 2 cups milk, 400g pasta.
For the brinjals:
- Chop 2 large brinjals (or 8 small brinjals) into bite sizes. Coat in 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter and a sprinkle of salt.
- To fry on the stove: Pan fry on medium heat with the lid on, stirring regularly. Keep the lid on when not stirring. Cook till softened.
- To fry in an air-fryer (preferred method): Fry for 5 minutes on medium heat. When the air-fryer stops, do not open the air-fryer for a few minutes to allow the brinjals to steam and soften. Then turn the air-fryer back on for a further 5 minutes. Repeat cooking and steaming until golden and soft.
For the sauce:
- Chop 1 large onion and 1 carrot. Fry with a drizzle of olive oil on medium-low heat till browning.
- Add 2 garlic cloves – chopped or crushed. Fry for another minute. Add 1 tsp paprika (or 1/4 tsp chilli powder) and 3 tsp coriander powder.
- Peel, de-seed, and chop 6 medium tomatoes (see page 49 for methods of how to peel tomatoes). Add the tomatoes to the pot and salt to taste. Allow to cook with the lid on till tomatoes soften.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree (or use a potato masher).
- Add 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 4 tablespoons butter to the pot. Fry the flour until it smells toasty (about 2 minutes). Keep stirring. Add in 2 cups of milk, a little at a time. Allow the milk to absorb into the flour before adding more, to prevent lumps from forming. Keep stirring vigorously.
- Combine white sauce, tomato sauce, brinjals and 400g of cooked pasta. Best served a side green salad.
by Natasha Subbiah
For more recipes and tips on how to get kids to eat more fruits and vegetables, follow me on Facebook.